I absolutely love Kale in all of its glorious varieties and prepared in many different ways. I often eat kale as a side or an as entire meal, because of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, cholesterol-lowering and cancer fighting benefits. This is a fun, tasty recipe for anyone looking to add more vitamin K to their diets. This dish is perfect for a low-starch/balanced protein diet, and to make more vegan friendly simply omit the anchovies & eggs. If your not growing your own Dinosaur Kale, be sure to pick up a few bunches from your local Farmer’s Market, Whole Foods or the Organic Produce section of your local grocery store.
Beautiful Kale of Many Names: Dinosaur, Tuscan & Lacinato:
- 14 ounces organic Dinosaur Kale, devein & remove large stem, thinly slice crosswise (makes approx 8 cups)
- 6 Anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, drained (Trader Joe’s/approx 174 mg of sodium)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed organic Lemon Juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon 365 Organic Dijon Mustard (Whole Foods) or Spicy Brown Mustard (Trader Joe’s)
- 3/4 cup Extra-Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 hard-boiled Egg, peeled
Vinaigrette: Combine the organic lemon juice, anchovies, garlic & mustard in a blender; purée until smooth. Keep the blender running while you very slowly pour in the oil. Season with freshly cracked pepper to taste. Cover and chill. Can be made 2 days ahead & kept refrigerated.
Using a microplane zester/grater and a small bowl, grate your hard-boiled egg. I personally choose to use only the egg white, but if you prefer not to waste your egg, continue to grate the yolk as well. Grating can be done up to 6 hours ahead, simply cover, chill & store separately from other ingredients.
Toss kale and creamy dressing in a large bowl to coat. Add additional freshly cracked pepper if needed. Top with grated eggs and voilà! Enjoy as a meal or serve as a side dish, compliments of “The Positive Pear” (to modify for vegan friendly avoid the egg & anchovy)
Other Positive Pear Kale Recipes: “Kale”